Having students take quizzes and exams online offers several questions regarding the validity of the exams and verification as to who is taking them.
The proctoring of exams is a choice made by faculty whether in their Face-to-Face or Online class. The choice of how a faculty member would like to proctor their exams is the choice of the faculty. Proctoring software allows the faculty to monitor the test taker without the need to be live and in person (Face-to-Face). Some faculty have chosen to use proctoring software in their Face-to-Face classes while on-campus, to take advantage of some of the features of this software. Optional features of proctoring software include:
- Locking down the computer so the student cannot go to another website
- Recording what the student tries to do on their screen while taking the exam
- Recording video and audio of the student while taking the exam
- Locking down the computer so the student can only see one screen
- Locking their browser so the student cannot open another program or browser tab
- Video only available to faculty – No one else sees the video
- If there is a question, faculty can ask for assistance of Instructional Technologist
- No one at IVC nor SOCCCD has access to the videos except the specific faculty and, at their request, the Instructional Technologist
- Stops when student exits quiz, submits quiz, or shuts off proctoring system
- Option for allowing student back into quiz based on faculty’s choice
- Most proctoring software includes approximately 5 years of history in case of grievance, again not accessible without direct access to the course as outlined above.
Since February 2017, Irvine Valley College (IVC) has used software to proctor online quizzes and exams. The specific software IVC has used is Proctorio.
Proctorio is used for locking down the browser so students cannot go to other websites as well as monitoring students while taking the exam. This monitoring is based on the settings selected by the faculty member who is giving the exam.
Proctorio’s customizable secure exam settings, recording options, and ID verification allow instructors to set-up unscheduled, on-demand proctoring specific to their assessment needs. The flexible settings may be used on all assessment types for consistency and security throughout the semester. Proctorio ensures fairness for test-takers by increasing accountability, securing exam content, and promoting a culture of academic integrity while improving learning outcomes.
Here is a marketing handout from Proctorio: proctorio_handout_1sided.pdf
To setup Proctorio in your course, follow these steps:
- Contact the IVC Instructional Technologist at 949-451-5716 or the link on the right.
- Setup Proctorio in your quizzes according to the instructions in this handout: proctorio_activate_in_canvas.pdf
For an overview of how to use Proctorio, please see Proctoro Overview.
As always, if you have questions or students have issues, please contact the Instructional Technologist.
Here are some questions and statements that have been